The Game of Billiards (Cover title: A Manual of the Game of Billiards)
by Phelan, Michael
- near fine
- Near Fine
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Includes information or the game's origin, tables, cues, cushions, balls, rules, techniques, shots, jargon, and playing rooms, as well as sections on billiards humor and Shakespeare as a billiard player.
This was the second book on billiards published in the U.S. The Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame notes that "Michael Phelan is considered by many to be the Father of American Billiards as a player, inventor, manufacturer and tireless popularizer of billiards. He played in and won the first billiard stakes match in 1859, and holds many patents for table designs and cushions. He is credited as being the first to put diamonds on tables. He authored Billiards Without A Master (1850), the first American book on billiards, and set the trend for lavish billiard rooms through his New York room on Broadway."
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Read 'Em Again Books & Paper (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Game of Billiards (Cover title: A Manual of the Game of Billiards)
- Phelan, Michael
- Hard Cover
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- 3rd Edition
- D. Appleton & Company
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Read 'Em Again Books & Paper
Sales tax of 6% required for books shipped to addresses in Virginia. Standard domestic shipping is free, however additional fees may be required for heavy, oversized, or unusually-shaped items.
Returns accepted for any reason for a full refund (less shipping) if we receive the return within 14 days of shipment and items are received in the same condition as sent. Advance notice of any return would be appreciated.
About the Seller
About Read 'Em Again Books & Paper
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]