Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Written over a span of ten years, Go Tell it on the Mountain is James Baldwin’s first completed novel. The story follows John Grimes, a bright teen living in Harlem in the 1930s, as he explores relationships with his family and his church. On a basic level, Go Tell it on the Mountain is a coming of age story, yet the novel gains complexity as the omniscient narrator interweaves John’s story with the stories of his mother, father, and aunt. In addition to the Grimes family, a main focus of the text is the function of the Christian Church in the lives of African-Americans, which Baldwin argues to be a source of moral hypocrisy and repression. And with a title like Go Tell it on the Mountain , it is no surprise that the novel contains has many biblical references throughout. The novel is generally accepted as semi-autobiographical. Like the protagonist, Baldwin grew up in Harlem. Neither had a relationship with their biological fathers and both resented their religious fanatic stepfathers. Also like John, Baldwin underwent a religious awakening as a young adult. Go Tell it on the Mountain is ranked 39th on Modern Library’s “100 Best” English-language novels of the 20th century and is also listed on TIME’s “100 Best Novels” (since 1923). In 1984, ABC produced a made-for-television movie based on the novel. -
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Dan Wyman Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN.
- Baldwin, James
- Book condition
- New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Date published
- Rare, nj1, black1, gay1 , 211, African-american, Afro-american Ghetto, Christianity Gay, Homosexuality Queer, Literature Fiction, First Edition Rare
Terms of Sale
Dan Wyman Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. Receive free of charge our monthly book list of unusual out-of-print Jewish, titles in your e-mail box--days before they are posted on line. E-mail us for details (no purchase necessary). All titles are 100% returnable for any reason. We accept payment by check or major credit card (MC/VISA, AMEX, Discover). Please call or e-mail to hold an item. We reciprocate standard trade terms.
About the Seller
About Dan Wyman Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]