The Handmaid's Tale [First Edition, First Printing]
by Atwood, Margaret
- very good
- Very Good
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian novel written by Margaret Atwood in 1985. It depicts a totalitarian world known as Gilead, portraying the subjection of women in a patriarchal society. The near-future New England setting illustrates a bleak portrayal of the world after the United States is overthrown by a fundamentalist group. Society is reorganized by the regime using a peculiar interpretation of some Old Testament ideas, and a new militarized, hierarchical model of social and religious fanaticism among its newly created social classes. The novel follows the story of a young woman, Offred, who struggles to maintain her identity. It depicts the rebellion of the women in her social class as their ability to read, write, own property, or handle money are lost. Most significantly, women are deprived of control over their own reproductive functions. The Handmaid's Tale was nominated for the first-ever Man Booker International Prize representing the best writers in contemporary fiction. Margaret Atwood is the author of more than 35 internationally acclaimed works of fiction, poetry, and critical essays. Her numerous awards include the Governor General’s Award for The Handmaid’s Tale , and The Giller Prize and Italian Premio Mondello for Alias Grace . The Handmaid’s Tale , Cat’s Eye , Alias Grace , and Oryx and Crake were all shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, which she won with The Blind Assassin . She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and has been awarded the Norwegian Order of Literary Merit and the French Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres among many others; she is a Foreign Honorary Member for Literature of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She lives in Toronto.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Black's Fine Books & Manuscripts (CA)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The Handmaid's Tale [First Edition, First Printing]
- Atwood, Margaret
- Book condition
- second hand - Very Good
- Quantity available
- First Edition, First Printing
- McClelland and Stewart | T.H. Best Printing Company Ltd.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- history; canadiana; science fiction; religion; rare;
Terms of Sale
Black's Fine Books & Manuscripts
1) We are professional booksellers and adhere to the standards of our professional associations, both in terms of describing books and offering redress in case of a discrepancy.
2) The prices of all material offered for sale on our web site, or on the databases to which we subscribe, are net in US dollars, and each item is subject to prior sale. Normally payment in full must be received before an item will be shipped. If sending a cheque, money order, or purchase order, it is advisable to contact us first to request that the book be reserved for you pending receipt of payment.
3) Payment to Black's Fine Books and Manuscripts may be made by cheque drawn on a US or Canadian bank; bank draft; credit card (MasterCard, VISA, AMEX, or Diner's Club); or by PayPal (our PayPal ID is our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that we reserve the right to delay shipment of any book paid for by cheque, until the cheque has cleared the payer's bank account. If paying by money order, please make sure that you purchase a form of money order which may be cashed in Canada (i.e., an international money order).
4) Payment with order, please. We do not send any item out on approval unless prior arrangements have been made. Legitimate book dealers, with whom we have established a reciprocal arrangement, and any member of the ABAC, ABAA, ABA, or an ILAB-affiliated national organization, may apply for a trade discount on any proposed purchase. Canadian purchasers will be charged GST. Known academic institutions, or libraries, may be billed upon receipt of a purchase order.
5) Any item purchased from Black's Fine Books and Manuscripts is returnable (postpaid) to us within ten days of receipt, if it is found to be substantially different than as described. However, we guarantee any item we sell to be authentic as to provenance, or state of issue (i.e. if we claim a book is a first edition, we guarantee it to be such). If our description of a book in regard to provenance or state of issue is in error, it may be returned to us (with prior notice, please) for refund within one year of purchase.
We do offer a layaway arrangement on more expensive items: generally where the purchase price exceeds $1,000. Typically, the purchaser should offer to us a down payment and propose acceptable terms of payment. We do not charge interest on payments made according to such an agreement. The item being purchased will be shipped upon receipt of payment in full. If payment is not made in accordance with the terms of the layaway arrangement, then the deposit and any payments will only be refunded after we have re-sold the item in question, and deducted our re-selling costs (if any).
We can provide digital photographs or scans, sent as .jpeg attachments, of any item in stock. In making such a request, please be as specific as possible as to the views you would like to receive. Please bear in mind that it is not practical for us to provide photos to people doing research, or seeking to compile a library of digital images, and that we are less inclined to send photos of an inexpensive book (due to the time and effort it requires), in the absence of a demonstrable need or reason on the part of the would-be purchaser.
Please send any further questions by email to: email@example.com
About the Seller
About Black's Fine Books & Manuscripts
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free End Paper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that... [more]
- Generally used to refer to a clear plastic cover that is sometimes added to the dustjacket or outside covering of a book. The... [more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- The heel of the spine.