El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha. Nueva edicion corrigida por la Real Academia Espaola
by CERVANTES SAAVEDRA, Miguel de
- Bindings with some light wear at extremities, a few areas n sides peeled, some occasional pale foxing, but generally a very well
Ardsley, New York
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
"In 1780 the Royal Spanish Academy created a national treasure when it commissioned Joaquin Ibarra to print a deluxe edition of Don Quixote. Regarded as one of the most magnificent books of its kind, the Academy edition includes lavish engravings, careful editorial emendations to the text, a biography of Cervantes, and the first map to chart Quixote's itinerary. The most influential work of literature from the Spanish Golden Age, Don Quixote remained a cornerstone of the artistic imagination 175 years after its initial publication" ('Visions & Nightmares: Four Centuries of Spanish Drawings,' curated by Edward Payne, The Morgan Librtary & Museum, 2014). Palau also rightly preferred this edition of all thus far published, in any language. The type was specially designed for the book, and the text follows the 1605 first edition. Palau 52024 ("Magnifica edicion y superior en belleza artistica a todas las que hasta entonces se habian hecho en Espana y en el extranjero"); Cohen-De Ricci 218-19 ("Magnifique édition comme typographie et comme ornamentation"). See John Hartman, 'The History of the Illustrated Book,' p. 161.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Riverrun Books & Manuscripts (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha. Nueva edicion corrigida por la Real Academia Espaola
- CERVANTES SAAVEDRA, Miguel de
- Book condition
- Used - Bindings with some light wear at extremities, a few areas n sides peeled, some occasional pale foxing, but generally a very well
- Quantity available
- Joaquín Ibarra
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Illustrated Books; Literature;
Terms of Sale
Riverrun Books & Manuscripts
We properly wrap and pack all books and ship in cardboard boxes or mailers. All items are guaranteed as described and are returnable within 30 days. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (914) 478-1339 to initiate your return. In your e-mail, please include your name, item(s), and reason for return.
Overseas orders should specify shipping preference.
All postage is extra.
New clients are requested to send remittance with your orders. Libraries may apply for deferred billing.
All New York residents must add appropriate sales tax.
We accept PayPal, American Express, Master Card and Visa.
All items are subject to prior sale; prices are subject to change.
About the Seller
About Riverrun Books & Manuscripts
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]