Uncle Tom's Cabin; Or, Life Among the Lowly (Signed notice laid in)
by Stowe, Harriet Beecher (1811-1896)
- Near Fine. Some fading and light wear to the original cloth bindings.
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe, the title character Uncle Tom is a long-suffering slave, loyal to both his faith and his master. Presented with an opportunity to escape, he instead chooses to remain in slavery to avoid embarrassing his master. After being sold to a slave trader, Tom suffers brutal treatment and is eventually beaten to death for his refusal to betray his friends — made to represent an ideal of true Christianity. Enormously popular (it was the best-selling novel of the 19th century) and influential, it’s publication in 1852 was instrumental in bringing visibility to the cruel reality of slavery. In more recent years, it has come under considerable criticism for its portrayal of meekness and subservience and the phrase “Uncle Tom” is sometimes used as an epithet for someone seen as overly subservient.
Excellent book to gain empathy and insight into the enslaved pathos, struggle and plight! This book presents well designed ideas to ennoble and elivate the human race as brothers, and sisters of a common God, and Father of us all.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Back Creek Books LLC, ABAA/ILAB (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Uncle Tom's Cabin; Or, Life Among the Lowly (Signed notice laid in)
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher (1811-1896)
- Original cloth. Octavos
- Book condition
- second hand - Near Fine. Some fading and light wear to the original cloth bindings.
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- John P. Jewett & Company
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- First Editions, Landmark books, Slavery, Influential books, Autographs
- Bookseller catalogs
- Fiction & Literature;
Terms of Sale
Back Creek Books LLC, ABAA/ILAB
Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed, and any book is returnable for a full refund if not as described. We accept payment by American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, PayPal, check, or money order. We pack and ship in corrugated cardboard boxes for protection in transit. Shipping costs for Priority Mail, international destinations, or heavy items occasionally need to be adjusted, in which case we will contact you for approval. Institutions and libraries may request an invoice. We can email digital photographs of any available book upon request.
About the Seller
About Back Creek Books LLC, ABAA/ILAB
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has been... [more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- Bibliography of American Literature (commonly abbreviated as BAL in descriptions) is the quintessential reference work for any... [more]